Monday, September 16, 2013

Letter from the Sammer 16 Sept 2013


Hello everyone!
First of all, if you guys want to fall off of your seats laughing, you need to read Elder London Lazerson's letters home. They are brilliant and his humor is still unbelievable.
So happy to hear that USU put the beat down on Weber State! gotta love those aggies :)  I'm actually really struggling about whether I want to go to USU or BYU when I go back.. I've decided that I'm not going to think about it until I absolutely have to, because that is not the most important thing right now!
This week was BRILLIANT. We spend loads and loads of time trying to figure out how to make the boiler work for the baptismal font, but after 4 different members looking at it... ice cold water. so Shawn's baptism was freezing. Nevertheless, the baptism was amazing! the spirit was so strong during the entire service, and he loved it! it's been so amazing to see the transformation that he has made in a few short weeks. it's absolutely unreal how powerful the atonement can be when we turn our hearts towards the savior.  Since the day we committed him to quit smoking, drinking alcohol, tea, or coffee, he hasn't touched it! Definitely a Miracle.  I had the priviledge of giving a talk on baptism, and then after a talk on the holy ghost by sister Rigby, Elder Pogue played the piano ( He taught himself how to for the baptism) and I sang  the primary song "When I am baptized." I think it was my first time singing in front of people, but I really enjoyed it, and the spirit was really strong! After the baptism, all of the hispanics in our ward from Columbia/Ecuador/Peru/Spain were in charge of a "latino night" that was really great! It was so fun to see some of the members let lose and dance and have a good time with each other. the ward is growing closer together each week and it's really cool to see. There is still much more for their Unity to increase, but progress is progress.  I had the oppurtunity to give the holy ghost for the first time and it was an incredible experience. I'm so exited for Shawn's life from here on out. Seeing him progress as a member, getting the priesthood, and then making sacred covenants in the temple! this gospel is amazing.
On Thursday, we were walking down the street and we saw a 22 year old guy called Lloyd. Lloyd is absolutely nuts, so we dropped him as an investigator, but some guys came down the street while we were talking to him and they said "Lloyd, don't let the Jehovas Witnesses talk to you!" We then explained that we were members of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and that we just want to give people service.  Lloyd's friend said "My best friend passed away last week, and I could really use someone to talk to." so... 30 minutes later we taught Lloyd's friend Steve in a Church of England Cemetary.Even if nothing else happens with Steve, (we're teaching him later today as well) it was so amazing to be able to comfort him a little bit from all of the heart break and sorrow he had felt because of his friend passing.  Steve invited his friend John to listen to our message tonight, so we will see what goes forth with John and Steve. Please keep them in your prayers! Shawn has 2 kids that need to start investigating the gospel, because it would help them so much in their lives! their names are Chloe and Katie. Louise, Shawn's youngest daughter living with him, has started coming to church and she loves it!
I don't know if you remember hearing about Jay, but I feel like we are so close to being able to teach him again, so keep him in your prayers as well. 
It was a fantastic week. I love being a missionary! Tonight we find out if I get transferred or not, but because I'm training Elder Pogue, the chances of me getting transferred are slim to none.
Mom, please ROCK do terra! I know you can do it, because you're way rad. 
"sometimes when i'm sad, I tell myself to quit being sad and start being awesome"- Elder Pogue uses this quote all the time from the T.V. show "How I Met Your Mother," and I hope it will be able to help you guys out this week and in the future. it's actually a way intelligent quote. yolo.
Love from the motherland,
Elder Harris

No comments: