Sunday, June 15, 2014

More about some oils ...and MARY xxooxx



The synchronicity of life is so COMPELLING to me...I had been studying about the essential oils used in the Bible and other apocrypha scripture earlier today...and then on this very day, one of my preacher friends I have gathered in tells me he is preaching on John 12:1-8 next Sunday. That "GOD HAS PUT IT IN MY HEART". :)  I had just been there looking up Spikenard. It had led me here-- to the site and oil info pasted below--LOVE the painting too:).  I am so eager to read his sermon for next week...I promise to share it here if he says its okay.

How could I NOT take pause and dig deeper and allow the angels to guide me back again? I  re-opened my scriptures to find the columns crammed with notes and heart doodles. You have to go back to John 11 to see the beautiful relationship that exists between this family before just jumping in to her washing and anointing the Savior's feet. My favorite personal note: "I believe like the early church leaders that surely Mary was married to the Savior. Surely." And now that I am of my own opinions I say boldly- SURELY!

 In John 11:5 "Now Jesus loved Martha, and her sister..."  and then of Lazarus in 11:3 when these sisters sent word "he whom thou lovest is sick"... and then the real relationship in 11:21 and 32..."LORD IF THOU HADST BEEN THERE..." (is that NOT the cry in most marriages? NOT being there for each other? Not choosing or not knowing HOW to show up and WHEN?)... and then HE WEPT...I love that Michael Wilcox talks about his weeping for ALL of us who cry out--"Lord if thou hast been there...".

He raises Lazarus and then the throngs believe. And Mary...well, now a most grateful sister and worshiping wife...sits at the feet of her miracle worker husband who has broken open hearts and resurrected the dead-- with her alabaster box of Spikenard worth a years salary. (Michael Wilcox note: "Mary gave the very best she has to offer, and poured out that offering willingly, grateful to show her devotion. This was her act of love for the coming atonement and sacrifice of her Lord."

Some say she didn't know he was about to die. Of course she knew. Frederick Farrar says EVERYONE knew they were plotting to kill him. That is one of the reasons they were gathering.  I'm excited for you to read what the blogger pasted in here below has said.

Whoever each of us believes Jesus to be...doesn't it make your heart burn to think of freely breaking open our box--our hearts, and offer our whole souls as an offering to those we get to love?

  And again my heart burns when I read Mark 14:9...I too want it said of me "Wherever this gospel (LOVE) is preached in the whole world, what this woman has done will also be a memorial to her."

And for those who look on any of us with judgement.... my Jesus stays next to me/us and says (John 12:7) Let her alone;.....



Soothing Spikenard



Then Mary took a pound of very costly oil of Spikenard, anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped His feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the oil. (John 12:3)
The first time I smelled Spikenard, I wasn’t sure what I thought. I detected the slight hint of Valerian, which I’m not overly fond of. I wondered if Jesus reallyenjoyed the aroma when Mary poured it on his feet. However, after learning more about the amazing benefits of essential oils, I had to wonder if what Jesus found pleasing had more to do with the scent of Mary’s motives, than it did the scent of the oil (Mark 14:9).
A tranquilizing relative of the Valerian family, Spikenard has the most powerful sedative action in aromatherapy and it is often recommended for relieving stress. The relaxing properties of this precious oil has been known to sooth nerves and ease anxiety. Historically, it has been used to treat mental disorders, as well as to calm those in trauma.
“Assuredly, I say to you, wherever this gospel is preached in the whole world, what this woman has done will also be told as a memorial to her.” Mark 14:9
I have often wondered why Mary chose Spikenard to anoint our Lord. Now, after learning about some of the properties of the oil, I have to wonder if perhaps Mary’s feminine nurturing spirit was attempting to lovingly bless and sooth our Lord before the trauma to come. Is that part of why Jesus was so impressed by her sacrifice (He always considers heart motive)? If so, this adds to the beauty and value of Mary’s actions during such a horribly stressful time!
“Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place.” (2 Corinthians 2:14)
Such beautiful imagery for those who understand the power of essential oils. We, the Church, are to be that influence in the world! We are the diffuser; His Holy Spirit is the healing, fragrant oil!

Spikenard is also said to promote cellular respiration and digestion and may be useful for balancing the male and female hormonal system. Spikenard is especially valued during the onset of puberty and during the menopausal phases (in a house full of girl, like ours, this is a good thing!).
It also may help relieve hormonal disturbances like insomnia, hot flashes, rosacea, headache, and night sweats.
Try a few drops of Narde in a blend or alone to help restless sleep, chronic insomnia, and tension. According to the book, Medical Aromatherapy: Healing with Essential Oils by Kurt Schnaubelt it is also good for dealing with dandruff and psoriasis.
The Essential Oil Desk Reference says Spikenard is useful for treating heart arrhythmias; and according to Dietrich Gumbel, Ph.D. it strengthens the heart and improves circulation.
TO PROMOTE SOUND SLEEP: Rub hands together with 1-3 drops of spikenard. Cup hands over face and inhale a minimum of 30-60 seconds to induce sleep. Place a couple of drops on bottoms of feet. Blend with Helichrysum to aid in emotional healing after a trauma.
APPLICATION: According to the Essential Oil Desk Reference, apply 2-4 drops on location, directly inhale, diffuse, or take as a dietary supplement.
alabaster perfume bottleBlends well with: Clary Sage, Geranium, Frankincense, Helichrysum, Lavender, Myrrh, Neroli, Patchouli, Rose, Sandalwood, or Vetiver.
I discovered that, while I don’t care for the scent on its own, it blends very well with other oils. Notice the ancient perfume recipe included below.
Ancient Spikenard Perfume Recipe(A variation of a perfume found in King Tutankhamun‘s tomb*)

2 T. sweet almond oil (or your favorite carrier oil)
6 drops Spikenard
6 drops Frankincense
2 drops Geranium
If using coconut oil, bring it to to a liquid state first, and blend with essential oils.

No comments: