Thursday, November 18, 2010

Books read on trip






I LOVED them all!!! It was humbling to be reading on the bus ride from Nairobi to Arusha (6 hours)...and passing such poverty and hard physical labor to be seen all around. The women carrying so MUCH WEIGHT on there heads and backs. Dirt, dirt and more dirt to be cleaned. Garbage everywhere. No fast fcod...every meal a production starting with killing the chicken. It gave me great pause as to the blessing all of our modern conveniences are. Conveniences that allow ME to have the TIME to read. What a miracle it is that we have captured shared labor in this country.

Kate Morton is a new FAVORITE of mine...I had just finished THE FORGOTTEN GARDEN before leaving...it is on my ALL TIME FAVORITE, TOP TEN list..later I will blog some blurbs and quotes from it. Kate's HOUSE AT RIVERTON kept my heart and mind delighted for many hours of the 28 hour traveling time there. I write "Kate" because I feel like she is a new best friend. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the way she pricks your brain to the issues of suppressed women. Her latest book , THE DISTANT HOURS came out while I was gone, so I am off to Barnes and Noble today. THESE IS MY WORDS....lets just say at first I was put off by all the seemingly TOO incredible and plenty horrific events that were taking place in Sarah's life, but those feelings left pretty quickly...and women...Nancy Turner TOTALLY has it down as to HOW a woman wants to be LOVED by her man. FLIPPED was light and cute, but I could have passed, but was dang grateful to have it on the flight. And Deepak...what can I say? I LOVE THAT GUY...now if I can just LIVE it!!!

1 comment:

Miss Megan said...

Thanks for the recommendation on the Forgotten Garden, I now have it on hold at the library. I LOVED "These Is My Words"!!!! I had a feeling it was going to be a rough read at times, but I just loved Sarah and her spirit and no-nonsense approach to life. The book really captured my imagination...I kind of felt like I was reading about Laura Ingalls all grown up. Anyways, thanks for sharing - I always love to get recommendations from people.

Happy Thanksgiving Natalie! xoxo