Sunday, September 8, 2013

Week of Sept 8 2013

 Tanner is putting his man on!
 Look who is HOME!!!!!!

Este leaves tomorrow morning! The house was rocking this weekend with the WELCOME HOME for Terrence and GOOD BYE to ESTE!!! Spencer bought a but load of steaks and they had a NO GIRLS ALLOWED BBQ and swim. Spencer the chef delighted everyone as usual. The only thing missing was YOU!

This is Carol Dweck...a new favorite lady right up there with Brene Brown, Deepak, Wayne Dyer, Shawn Anchor, Byron Katie, Anne Lamott, ....and so many others..!!! Karl Bowman came over while I was gone this week and handed Carol's book to Megan and said "YOUR MOM IS GOING TO LOVE THIS!!! Tell her I just read it the second time through in ONE week". I  bet its been over a year since I've even seen Karl Bowman so I was so surprised....and especially that HE would know my LOVE all of things enlightening? With that recommendation, I of course left off reading my Joseph Campbell Pathways to BLISS (also AMAZING) and dove right in. I LOVE THAT THE GODS give us these prophets and prophetesses. I LOVE that they follow their light in sharing with us happy progressive truths of our souls. I wanna be one in the next life. I want to have my head and heart so aware, so giving, so focused that I can not only BE this kind of light, but that I can SHARE it with others. I do smile thinking that while they are so focused on there one area, I get to harvest from ALL of these GREATS!!! I will tell you more about my new find in Joseph Campbell next week.

So, after reading the book....I am nervous that I and the world around you might have partially instilled a FIXED mind set in each of you children. I know that there are BIG parts in each of us that are GROWTH MINDSET...but this book helps us to see where we are and even at 50 completely switch over to the GROWTH MINDSET. I pulled the following off of WIKIPEDIA to give you a short synopsis. I always want you guys to read what I'm reading and then to talk to me about it. :)
This is a book you will SO WANT TO READ before you parent! And really you will want to read it before you go much further in your own lives.

Mindset: The New Psychology of Success which was published in 2006. According to Dweck, individuals can be placed on a continuum according to their implicit views of where ability comes from. Some believe their success is based on innate ability; these are said to have a "fixed" theory of intelligence (fixed mindset). Others, who believe their success is based on hard work, learning, training and doggedness are said to have a "growth" or an "incremental" theory of intelligence (growth mindset). Individuals may not necessarily be aware of their own mindset, but their mindset can still be discerned based on their behavior. It is especially evident in their reaction to failure. Fixed-mindset individuals dread failure because it is a negative statement on their basic abilities, while growth mindset individuals don't mind or fear failure as much because they realize their performance can be improved and learning comes from failure. These two mindsets play an important role in all aspects of a person's life. Dweck argues that the growth mindset will allow a person to live a less stressful and more successful life. Dweck's definition of fixed and growth mindsets from a 2012 interview:
"In a fixed mindset students believe their basic abilities, their intelligence, their talents, are just fixed traits. They have a certain amount and that's that, and then their goal becomes to look smart all the time and never look dumb. In a growth mindset students understand that their talents and abilities can be developed through effort, good teaching and persistence. They don't necessarily think everyone's the same or anyone can be Einstein, but they believe everyone can get smarter if they work at it."[8]
This is important because (1) individuals with a "growth" theory are more likely to continue working hard despite setbacks and (2) individuals' theories of intelligence can be affected by subtle environmental cues. For example, children given praise such as "good job, you're very smart" are much more likely to develop a fixed mindset, whereas if given compliments like "good job, you worked very hard" they are likely to develop a growth mindset. In other words, it is possible to encourage students, for example, to persist despite failure by encouraging them to think about learning in a certain way.

I'm sure Dad caught you up on BYU'S big win. Michael came and watched it with us. Gators lost yesterday :(  The peaches have come on and I am in HEAVEN! This war with Syria thing has my heart broken. I keep thinking if only we can convert more people to LOVE. And there you are Sam...spending 2 years out converting.  GET IT ALL OVER THEM!  Megan is planning another cruise. Michael is making life plans. Josh is the happy student camper. Spencer feels the same about school but is doing great and still loving work and all things GOLF. Dad just got back from Honduras and Guatemala. I am heading to Texas this week to build Do TERRA and then to Florida the next week. I have a SPECTACULAR builder in Texas. Her name is Theresa. I LOVE WHO SHE IS SO MUCH. She is a progressive southern Baptist and she likes to talk philosophy and religion with me. She is one of the brightest lights on this planet. I'm thrilled to be able to spend some days with her getting her team off the ground.

I wanted to put a big THANK YOU out to Megan. So... my days have been slammed and by later night when I am "done" I haven't really wanted to mow the lawn in the dark or clean the garage or tend to many things that need tending to. I had a full day yesterday but was going to mow the lawn after a strategy session and before a training.....when I came home from my run, MEGAN was mowing the lawn!!! And then when I emerged from my training she had totally cleaned out the whole garage and was hosing it out. There are days I long for my old "free labor" set up with you kids....but this was way more than an assigned chore...it was a gift of LOVE. THANK YOU MEGSALINA!

Rachel Bean gets married next weekend. They've been  going to town inside and outside of their house. Jason and Brittany get married the week after that.

I LOVE SUNDAYS!!! I love that I get to write to you! I love that Oprah has Super Soul Sunday (she introduces me to a lot of A M A Z I N G people who are true lights in the world.  I love that its understood around here that you don't WORK on Sunday. Most clients and team members don't call me. I love that its a whole day to just brighten my light and FEEL the love. I know Sundays are a busy day for you. I'm sad your P-days are from sun up to sun down...like the scriptures say :).

I LOVE YOU!!!! So glad you liked your package! Not surprised one bit that you picked up juggling so fast! Your skill capacity is endless. When you get home you can see if you can do it while on your unicycle :) Lindon Days parade would be so happy to see! We will hit 6 months this month. Do you have any traditions in the mission? You gonna be burning a tie? I am going to dance my whole run on the 27th...it will be an "I CAN DO THIS ONE LAST TIME" dance.  And then I will think of you while I am in IDAHO teaching classes!!!!

YOU are the light of the world Love Bug. Each of us are. I believe each of us were sent here to bring salvation to each other. I love the dictionary's definition of Salvation: the act of saving or protecting from harm, risk, loss, destruction, etc. There is much to do in spreading this LOVE. You will put on your white shirt and tie and name tag and go to....and I will keep learning and reading and incorporating and wrapping my arms around those who will let me. YOU are my SPARKLES and SUNSHINE. YOU ARE MY LIGHT and LOVE in this world.  Enjoy every minute of this week!
Mom
xxooxxooxxoxoxoxooxooxooxxooxxooxxooxxooxxxoooxoooxooxoxooxxxxxxxxx

No comments: