Friday, July 23, 2010

SUBWAY HIKE In Zion's National Park


































7 miles of THE most GORGEOUS and varied country I have ever seen in my life, with some of our favorite people...but it was no walk in the park. I made it through 3 repels (pretty much a MIRACLE for this height phobic woman), and several SO COLD you have to remind yourself to start moving your arms SWIMS!!!! The assent out was KILLER, like, straight up and you could just slip and roll off the side...but even with all of that...I am SO HAPPY that I was able to do it!!!! Will I ever do it again?????????
HHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......
I'm going to post ALOT of the pics here to remind me! Shirl Tomlinson was our guide and he does it many times each summer...I can't imagine ANYONE going on this for the first time without an experienced guide. You have to get special permits and everything. Probably SUCH a GOOD thing that I really had NO IDEA before I left. The first repel is about an hour and 1/2 in, so there isn't any turning back...
Again and again my heart would race at the magnificence of it all, I would feel overwhelmed with awe and gratitude--- and I have NO DOUBT, there IS a CREATOR of this UNIVERSE!!!! Enjoy!
(When I found out after coming home that Sam has already done this hike in scouts I about had a heart attack!!!)
PS...in the one picture where I have my hand on the rock it is inside a REAL Pterodactyl footprint fossil...I mean really, HOW COOL IS THAT???? The whole side of this one HUMONGOUS boulder was covered with them...you could see where he had run up the side of the mountain!!!!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Beautiful. So so beautiful!

You GO woman!!!

Becky said...

Hi Nat
So happy you got to experience that fun hike. Reed and I have done it several times. It is one you never forget!
XO