Sunday, January 22, 2012

Extremelly Loud and Incredibly Close

 Barb turned me onto this book a few years ago...anything Barb turns me onto is noteworthy. I will never forget the message of the commonality of LOSS in everyone's life...and how losing things/people helps us to FIND ourselves and others. Dad and I went to see it at the movie Friday night and it was brilliant.
This book was our book group read this month....it goes a little slow, but is filled with mind slapping doses of "need to be reminded of" life gifts. What a sweet life George led even in the midst of true hardship. I am still trying to wrap my mind around my OWN life expectations. My favorite part was near the end where the author explains how he started out to write about a life of  injustice and hardship, and instead, by coming to know George, and George's outlook on his own life, it ended up being a book about gratitude. Some of my new favorite quotes are from here.
"EVERYTHING will be alright"
"You have no right to judge another human being. Don't you ever forget that...(some of them white people where nasty and men, some was just scared)." We are all scared aren't we?
"Mostly I have good memories, but even if I wanted to I can't make the truth good or bad, it's just what it is."
"If they didn't pay me fair for a fair day's work I figure that is THEIR worry"
"It's just that I don't eat with the dogs"

LIFE IS SO GOOD and getting better every day!!!!!!!!
I love you George Dawson!

No comments: