Monday, March 10, 2008

MY HOME






This is the home I grew up in, in Melrose, FLorida. I lived here from the time I was seven until I left home for college and marriage, and even brought Megan home from the hospital to this house. This is the last house I lived in with my Mom. They've paved all the streets. They included a picture of the Bay where we spent hours swimming until the pool was built...the RICH people had summer homes on the Bay, but we didn't have a house on the Bay and we lived there year round. They've pulled out ALOT of the orange trees...they've completely rennovated the inside (some saintly soul put in air conditioing and central heat!!!!) But the POOL...this was my heaven and my savior in the heat, and from the loneliness of being SO DANG FAR AWAY from everyone. Yep, my skin cancer nose surgeries were due to cleaing this lovely haven, and I'd do it all over again. I can FEEl the water sliding over me as I dive in on one of those unbearably hot and humid days. I can see the gazillions of stars as I floated for hours on my back in the dark--until the bats started diving. I can SMELL the GREEN. I can hear the frogs and the crickets.I can FEEL the sand inbetween my toes---cooler under the shade of the oaks. I am looking for a book...any book to take my mind away from being STUCK there. Life is ironic, what I'd give to be able to have it back---with everyone back...especially MOM. Man, I'm old...I'd give ALOT to be able to spend one day with all us kids there together again with all of our kids. Hey, dreams and wishes come true...especially for me...I'm going to keep wishing and dreaming.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi lovely blog. :o)

Miss Megan said...

I didn't know that you grew up in Florida? Someday my dream is to actually go to Florida! It sounds like you had a wonderful and magical childhood. The house that you grew up in was gorgeous...a place full of love, laughter; a place to spark the imagination! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Melrose would love to have you back. I did notice they removed a lot of the orange trees. But you can plant more. Across the street from the house is a large orange grove, and this time of year it is all in bloom. The sweet smell of orange blossoms is in the air. Your mom always had wonderful things cooking in her kitchen. Fresh yeast rolls, cookie bars, brownies, yummy casseroles and soups. I remember one time I spent the night at your house and your mom gave me a lunch to take to school. I was the luckiest girl in the world that day. Your mom had the BEST sandwich, cookie bar, etc. in that bag. It was so much better than any school lunch. And your mom always had something she was was working on in the sewing room. Your house was always so full of love.

KellyandJax said...

The memories! I can't stand it. I am so ready to move back there and have Jax experience the wonder of Melrose! I have been dreaming the past two days!!

I sure miss our house! I wish I could hug it right now!

Kels~

kristen said...

When I saw the title and scrolled down through the photos I thought you were going to say these were photos from Martha Stuart's Magazine of your dream home. Hello! That is the most beautiful place I have seen! It looks like it came right out of a book. And you write about it so BEAUTIFULLY!!

And p.s. thank you thank you thank you for my pink bubble wand. I have already gotten in trouble 3 times for using it in the house. :) Can't help it...so tempting.