Saturday, January 31, 2009

Chicken

I use to name my chickens...but its too hard to tell them apart...so pretty much they are all GERTIE or BESSIE. But this dang Gertie is an escape artist. she's been out for 2 days so I wanted to take a picture of her to show Josh I'm still at it...the whole chicken thing that he loves so much :). It got warm enough today that the muck in the pen thawed out and turned to, well, MUCK...I thought I was going to be fast and just chuck in the leftovers....but first Gertie still refuses to go back in and then the feeding pan was all guck and yuck so I had to GO IN with my boots on...and then I'm running round and round the pen trying to get Gertie in and keep the others from coming out...THEN I realize today is day FOUR with NO EGGS...I think they are eating them. My neighbor thinks they are just using all their energy to stay warm and will start laying again when it warms up...it has been COLD...I HOPE that is what is happening. I had other egg eating hens and well, you know what happens to them... you can't keep feeding them if they aren't producing. Well, I guess you CAN, but Don isn't going to go for that!
I hope they keep feeding me when I 'm not producing.
Am I producing? That's a subject for another time obessing.

2 comments:

The Patty Cake House said...

You are so cute!!! I love reading your blog!!!

Jamie and Julie said...

I just slip on some Sorel's every time I go out to visit the chicken's I could not imagine chasing a chicken with the boots you wear. I'm still getting about 6-8 eggs a day (with 8 chickens) though I have stuck a 40 watt bulb in the coop.