Monday, January 5, 2009

Josh's letter 5 Jan 2009

Hey Family!

so this week was... i dont know what to put there. but monday was good and the giraffes were way fun, i got vidoes of me and elder overson kissing the giraffes, elder overson even got a bit of tongue from the giraffe on one of his kisses, so you will get those when i send this next card home, i'm not sure when that will be cause i have to get the first card i sent to you back first. and then carnivore was delicious. it is basically tucanos except they have crocodile and ostrich and when it is legal (the laws change every few months i guess) they have zebra and gazelle and whatever they can get their hands on. the crocodile and ostrich were good, the ostrich meatballs were probably the best thing there, but their ribs were also way good. tuesday and wednesday were slow, most peopla are just getting back from up country today, so the ones that were home earlier this week just wanted to "get settled" for a lack of a better term in english and didnt want to talk to us. then thursday threw saturday i was throwing up and had the worst case of diarrhea i think humanly possible and my stomach hurt super bad, the only thing i have to compare it to was when i had apendicidis. so yeasterday i was in the hospital for the first half of the day and they did a blood test and took a stool sample and all of that stuff. it turns out i have a parasite, so they gave me some antibiotics and a pain killer and told me to eat a lot of spicy foods, so i have been adding ceyene pepper and jalepinos to everything i eat. i have been feeling better today so you dont need to worry about me mom, it just made the week really boring, especially for elder overson, i feel bad about that. but today is the first day of he new transfer, although transfer dont really take place till tomorow and wednesday. i am still here in Rongai, but elder Overson is going to mombasa, i am excited for him, he has been in langatta for the last seven and a half months and that is the hardest area in the mission (they havent had a baptism there for 15 years and the only reason why there is still missionarys there is because the first church building in all of east africa was built there so they want to keep missionarys at the building). elder baloyi will be my new companion, he is currently the zone leader but will be finishing my training so some other elder will be the zone leader in his place now. i am excited for this next transfer. i dont know much about elder baloyi yet, but i'll let you know as i find out. i know you guys had a few qestions but the net is being to slow and i cant open the emails back up right now to look at them so just ask them again for next week i guess. also please remember to send all of the emails to this adress, the myldsmail one hasnt even been wroking the last two weeks when i try to get on to checkif there is something there thats not here. also i didnt get gregs email this week, so please get them to me next week. stil no package, but elder overson got his from home this week and his parents had sent a vunch of stuf for "the companion" so i got a bunch of candy and a mini remote control car, that kept us intertained for a few hours while i was sick, being sick on mission is the worst thing ever! anyways, i love you all (especially mom and dad and spencer and sam and mike and megan and dianna mom and greg and steph and jake and dave and mike hardman. anybody else that is reading this i am sorry but i will send you more love later).
talk to you guys next week,
love,
elder harris

1 comment:

Maren Reeves said...

Sis Harris- I don't know the best way to get this to Josh, because I know his e-mail is down right now. Do you have a way he could see this e-mail from me? Thanks, Maren

Hey Josh,

Happy New Year! I looked at some of your pics on your mom's blog from your mission so far- and WOW! It is still so crazy to me that you are actually in Africa. I bet it's kinda nice to get a change of scenery for a while. ...especially with weather. Don't get me wrong- I am loving the snow, but honestly I live in the north pole now!! Logan is super cold, and I haven't even experienced the nose freezing syndrome yet.
With a native companion, do you learn a little bit of the native dialect, or does he speak all english? So I am very dumb when it comes to knowing how things work in Africa. Where are you actually living? And I know you don't have an address for where you live- just the mission home right? I'll ask your mom. If I were to send you meat and berry burritos, they might go bad. Of course they already would have started bad- so what's the difference?!

So right now in life I have been thinking about possibly going over to Italy to be a nanny for a few months, but all the families seem pretty crazy ( and by that I mean VERY crazy!- so I might just go and do an internship in Washington DC next year. We will see. Anyways, school is great- I am in the opera productions class this spring, so you know what that means! I'm in an opera! (as LAAAAME as that sounds, it will actually be a pretty big challenge.) I am not the "school play" type of girl. We'll just see- hey I get to learn to speak Italian though!

Good luck with all you are doing. You missionaries are all in our prayers.
Maren (aka Mare Bear ;) )