Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Blood Sweat and Tears


Mrs. Eisenhart is Sam's Honors History Teacher at Timpanogas High School. She is one of those people that you dream would come into everyone of your childrens lives. WE LOVE HER! WE LOVE WHO SHE IS! Her half year assignment to the class was a 6o page Life HISTORY. She had worked the outline into a BRILLANT participants realization that THEIR HISTORY is IMPORTANT. Her premise from the first day of class has been to teach her students that History is NOW. Today. We are ALL making it...and what are WE doing to contribute???...to make a difference... to make the world a BETTER place?!I could write pages on the astonishing things she does in her class periods--astonishing enough that a 15 year old boy talks about them at dinner! Did I say yet how much I LOVE her? The only way you can get extra credit in her class is by SERVICE. She has the kids choose a service project or projects to champion---like collecting old cell phones for recycling, ink cartridges, shoes for Africa, preparing a dinner for the Homeless Shelter. She has come in an instilled an awareness in Sam that I have always hoped to instill in ALL of my children. She has reminded me that I have gotten lazy in my example. She has excited and inspired ME to do better and I have never even met her face to face... but believe me...I will soon.
As you can imagine, this assignment was a time and emotion intensive project---especially for a 15 year old! I am so proud of Sam for the way he organized himself and got it done, didn't take shortcuts, was honest and thoughtful. I am so THANKFUL that he has this book. I have always felt sad that I didn't baby book or scrap book for him like I did the other kids.(How do you repay somebody for wiping that kind of guilt clean?) This is even BETTER...this is HIS life from HIS perspective!!And just to brag on the boy a bit...she gave him 442 points out of 400!!! He got the 2nd highest grade in the class. And to brag on Mrs. Eisenhart again...SHE READ IT! Her notes on the grade sheets could not have been faked--they were SO PERSONAL. She has our hearts in her hands. I wanna be like her. I hope for the world to be like her.

1 comment:

Gene and Sheri Family said...

When I lived with you I had a teacher like that at orem high...Mrs. Bestor...I think she is the only teacher that I remember from that period in my life...and she was an English teacher too. EVERYONE should have a teacher like that at least once!