Sunday, January 31, 2010

Day 1/Day2

We arrived, had lots of hugs and lunch. I did my normal-- and didn't sleep on the flights so I was TIRED. I napped for 4 1/2 hours. It was WARM, I opened the window as I laid down. The warmish breeze sank deep in my soul and I felt this strange satisfaction. I realized I was happy to be there... To be in HER home, to be fed so well, for even my feet to be warm, to have no schedule, to be 10 days away from a work worry or home chore. It felt like everything in my real world was frozen. I liked it. For the first time in forever, I just went to sleep. No rehashing, re-doing, re-wording conversations now gone, no list making. I just went to sleep. When I woke, I wanted to run. But it was too hot. And I was glad in a weird way. I didn't even feel bugged that I had missed the day before because the flight was so early. WHO is this woman? I LIKE her!!!Relaxed would be the theme of this whole trip. TOTALLY RELAXED.
Carlos and Soledad took us to their Golf Club while the girls went swimming in their pool. We followed as the guys golfed. I quickly remembered how primitive my Spanish skills are. I love how comfortable Soledad helps me feel so that I can practice. Her English is a gazillion times better since the last time we were together, so more often she just practiced her English.
We came home to a BBQ with Soledad's brother Pedro and his wife and family...And Carlos' brother Pancho's family. The smell demanded that all my eating parts just forget the whole diet thing. Demanded it I tell you. I ate. And before the first night was over I could pretty much say it was a fabulous trip.
When you see the art in the home in later posts, Pedro's wife did most of it, and then Carlos' brother's wife did the rest...talent and ability seem to be this family's forte. Yes, it was intimidating, but then they are SO NICE that you keep forgetting to be intimidated.
The next morning we headed north to a beach condo to spend a few days as couples. I felt guilty taking Solita's parents away so quickly, but she really was pretty distracted with the dog, so I think she didn't mind. I hope not. I still felt a little mean.
On the way I saw avocado and kiwi orchards for the first time. Chile is a gorgeous country. Green green green green green green green. I MISS green. I had forgotten GREEN. The Florida child in me NEEDS GREEN...and warm...OK, it needs the beach too--and a POOL:) The condo was picture book perfect as you can see from the pictures.
For dinner we went to the BEST seafood restaurant... yea, pretty much eating what I want at this point. Joy! Really, for me, that IS JOY! We had baked razor back clams AND a seafood sampler as an appetizer. My grilled fish was manna, and EVERYDAY I had the typical Chilean salad of chunked fresh tomatoes with lots of thinly sliced onions and avocado doused with a healthy glob of Olive oil and lots of salt. We went to bed early and slept in late--EVERY DAY!!!! I haven't slept this much in I don't KNOW how long. I had no idea that my body would even LET me...usually 4-5 hours and I am UP and awake. Thank you body. I think it was ocean air...and the FETE chocolate:)
We closed that first night with a long walk on the beach...we left our shoes in a pile in the sand. Soledad and I had 2 buck flip flops but Don and Carlos had 100 buck Timberlines...yep, you guessed it...THEY came back to NO SHOES. I like to think it was some woman in need who had been praying to have new shoes for her husband and when she saw them there she knew that I would have given them to her...and so would have Soledad. So now, somewhere in Chile is a husband who feels tended to and blessed by his wife. Of course...that is NOT how Don and Carlos are thinking about it. It makes for a great story though and we laughed wherever we went LOOKING at all the men' s shoes to see if they were theirs.
Just in case you are heading to Chile, the link to this resort is:http://www.marbella.cl/ing/
It should have been www.heaven.



No comments: