Friday, November 4, 2011

GOLD RUSH of 2011

Monday Night while I was answering the door to the Trick or Treators, I was also watching a new TV show with Brian Williams that featured a blurb on Williston, ND and the oil drilling boom that is going on there. How they need 18,000 workers RIGHT NOW, and they are paying 6 figure salaries--but there is no housing infrastructure to accommodate them. Well....you can imagine what that information did when it hit MY brain cells.  My heart started racing, my breathing wouldn't regulate...and my brain....flitted from every piece of pertinent information to another existing in my brain about the possibility of MY creating something there. I think it really DOES affect me that I can't have babies anymore. This desire to CREATE something I can nurture is overwhelming. Immediately I am trying to reason through what things would be dicey about going there. I barely slept that night. I have lived through the Vernal, Utah and Green River boom and busts. Have worked on a project in ELKO...so I know the risk and some of the warning factors. But to NOT take advantage of the ripe moment....ugh. Think of Levi Strauss...and all the others who created empire's and made great livings  NOT off of the GOLD RUSH itself...but on catering to the Miner's!!! I don't need an empire especially, but something to keep this brain and heart involved with something that truly BLESSES other people's lives...AND provides College Tuition and all the opportunities my children would like to have financed would be good.
So...yesterday's idea was to buy RV trailers since it is end of season and they can be bought at amazing prices and drive them there and sell them for a sizable profit....but upon investigation...these poor workers don't have a place to PARK them. The RUSH is just far enough in that the land owners won't part with property for prices that will  make that business plan work. The city itself is a bogged down mess trying to process everyone who has beaten me to the news, so even the simple obvious businesses like restaurants, copy shops, shoe stores...not so simple. Just can't let go of the hope of it...brain STILL processing....anyone have ideas? Want to partner????

No comments: