Sunday, May 23, 2010

The Brussels Legion



GrandDad was adamant that there was to be NO SERVICES...so we didn't have any...kind of....
The Brussels Legion has been GrandDad's life pretty much over the last 12 years. This is were he goes for his Sunday night dances, where he eats his Fish Fry, where he has his fund raisers, where he went pretty often for a "Jolly" at the end of a day...where he went for company. Olive requested that we just let the Legion have a "bit of time" to pay their respects. So we announced on the radio at noon on Thursday that we would be having a remembrance for him at 6, and over 50 people showed up. My heart was SO FULL. And if we had had another day I am sure there would have been more. I love these people. I wasn't sure what was respectful and what wasn't, so I didn't get any pictures like I wanted. Legion members came in dressed to the hilt in their uniforms and stood in two rows side by side while the female Reverend read a sweet message about service and sacrifice. They played the hymn Amazing Grace, and ended with God Save the Queen (which with GrandDad's lack of love for her made me smile through my tears). Then each member came forward and took their poppy off their uniform and laid it on the table as they took a few seconds for a silent remembrance. So many rituals of love to love. That they would take the time so unexpectedly from their busy lives and come to honor him. I will never forget it. I took some of the poppies and brought them home so we could use them here when we buried him. I have always loved poppies, I am going to plant some red ones now. I wish I was allowed to plant some on his grave.
Afterwards we had Subway sandwhiches and an open bar for everyone who came. New territory for this Mormon girl, but it felt so right that there was no room for the uncomfortable.
I am sad that I didn't get more pictures. So many people to greet and thank. Upstairs they were practicing the Scottish bagpipes...my soul rejoiced...TELL ME THAT WAS JUST A COINCIDENCE!!!!!!


No comments: