Sunday, May 30, 2010

Memorial Day XXOOXX Love you GrandDad!!!



This is my Grandad and Grandma on their wedding day. Don't they just OOZE love??!


This is a post Sheri (my little Sister) made when GrandDad died, and I love it. And emotionally it is easier to just post this, than try to do justice with my own post. Today we are off to the cemetery to put flowers on the graves....

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

My SWEET Grandad, William Archibald Steadwell, died today May 12, 2010

I'm just betting there was a sweet reunion for him with my Mom (his daughter) and his wife, my Grandma today. It makes me smile just thinking about it. He was born on March 20, 1920. He served in WWII. And he taught this girl (Sheri) that men DO cry, and its ok. He called it "water on the brain." :) And he didn't go by William or Archibald. Everyone called him Bill.

He and my Grandma would come from Canada to Florida and park their RV in our yard for 6 months out of the year when I was growing up, and oh how I loved that! You could count on getting some kind of treat anytime you went and knocked on their trailer door for a visit. And we watched a lot of Wheel of Fortune together.

When I would get home from school Grandad would say, "Well Hello there Miss Sheri! How was school t'day a?" "Did ja kiss any of those ugly old fellas?" And it always made me blush and grin from ear to ear. Then he'd get to laughing so hard, and tell me he just had to tease me.

When I got a little older he would offer me a beer everytime I went to visit him in the RV. He got a kick outta me saying "No Grandad!" "You know I don't drink beer!" And he told me that if I ever got the itch to try smoking that I'd better let him teach me and no one else. I never got the itch to smoke, and somehow I know he was glad about that.

My Grandad never liked to sit for very long. He liked to stay busy. And if he did sit, he would always fall asleep. Unless, he was talking politics or religion! And he could chop wood like nobody's business, right up until he died.

When I got married he would tease me all the time about having to name one of my kids "Archibald", after him. And when I was pregnant he would always ask me, "So how's that little Archie doing a?" Then he'd laugh. But I showed him, and I DID name one of my children after him, but I chose William, instead of Archibald.

In my mind, my Grandad was nothing but love and kindness. And I cant wait to talk politics and religion with him again on the flip side! :)

I love you Grandad! And I hope by now you have realized that the "other side" isn't so bad after all a? :)

Love your #3 Grandbaby,
Sheri

No comments: