Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day


It was a nice day...the sun was shinning and it was almost 70 degrees FINALLY. I felt like we were the LAST to get to the cemetery...every grave seemed to be covered except for ours...as you can see the grass is still funny from GrandDad's burial. His death date has already been engraved and it looks nice. I don't find comfort at the cemetery. I never have. When I was perplexed about which flowers to get it was like Mom was standing there saying I DO NOT WANT ANY FLOWERS....and then I remembered GrandDad always asking me to take something NICE to Grandmom's grave... another year, another picture, and just us to take flowers. Just because everyone else lives so far away and can't bring flowers doesn't mean they loved them any less. I looked out across just our not too large section of the cemetery and quickly calculated the number of scholarships to school just that section could provide if that flower money had been donated to scholarships. I wish to heck I could figure out a way to honor our dead that blessed the living...for those of you thinking I am calloused and unthoughtful...maybe I am. But I feel pretty sure all those that have passed on appreciate being thought of, but really don't care about having flowers brought. Take note: NO FLOWERS for Natalie when she goes--I MEAN IT!!! You take your flower money and give it to a scholarship fund, cancer research, a family in need...take your OWN family out for dinner in celebration of a life so grateful to have been able to have lived when YOU were on the planet with her.

No comments: