Sunday, November 29, 2009

SAM SPEAKS

This is Sam's talk from Sacrament Meeting today...he was GREAT...I was heartend and impressed even if he does belong to me!!!!

Well, last week brother Oats assigned me to speak on D & C 82:14, this says “For Zion must increase in beauty, and in holiness; her borders must be enlarged; her stakes must be strengthened; yea, verily I say unto you, Zion must arise and put on her beautiful garments.” So, implying, how can WE build up Zion? There are many ways we can do this.

We build up Zion as we prepare for and serve full-time missions. Some of the things that help me desire to serve a mission are, being active and participating in priesthood quorum, attending seminary, prayer, church attendance and scripture study. Sometimes I think to myself, 2 years is a really long time to be without mom and dad, sports, and friends. When I read the scriptures it really gets me excited and desire to serve a mission…because how great would it be if MY efforts were to help someone else find greater happiness in this life through learning about and then trying to live the Gospel as Jesus Christ will teach it to them after I have introduced it to them…..

In elder uchtdorf’s last talk in general conference he says the following: “Divine love is the motive that transports simple words into sacred scripture. Divine love is the factor that transforms reluctant compliance with God’s commandments into blessed dedication and consecration. Love is the guiding light that illuminates the disciple’s path and fills our daily walk with life, meaning, and wonder.” Love does all these wonderful things for us, so why wouldn’t we want to love everybody and have them love us back? To me, that is Zion.

Lastly, we can build up Zion by turning out hearts to Jesus Christ. REALLY, think about it, how GREAT would it be if EVERYONE was at least TRYING to love each other the way the Savior teaches us? When someone does something stupid, instead of “stoning” them with our disappointment and words of criticism, we remember that we too have done stupid things and IF we have to say something, it is words of love and encouragement….like “hey, that wasn’t like YOU…you’ll do better next time!” or, “I’ve done some pretty stupid stuff myself”. How GREAT would it be if we all loved perfectly? But we don’t love perfectly. And from what I’ve been taught, the reason I’ve come to earth is to continue the process of LEARNING H O W to love more perfectly. That is why I am thankful for a Savior who made it possible for me to move past my mistakes. That is why I am thankful to be apart of a ward and community that is striving for the same thing. I’m excited for Zion. I hope that MOST of the time I will be found doing my part.


2 comments:

Michele said...

Great talk, is he for hire? Maybe he could write mine for me!

Kath said...

Great Speech, Sam!! I could feel what you was feeling and beleving! God Bless you!